Financial Success - Save on School Supplies
6 Tips to Save on Back to School Shopping
Ready or not, the new school year is just around the corner – which means it’s time to gear up for back to school shopping. Keep costs low this fall with these 6 simple tips:
- Search for leftover supplies. You probably have some pencils, crayons, notebooks, binders, or other items from last year still hanging around the house. Do a quick search and you may be able to cross some items off your list before you even go to the store!
- Make a list – and stick to it. School districts usually send out a classroom supply list with everything your kids will need for the year. Do your best to stick to that list and not get distracted by shiny, but unnecessary, items in the store.
- Leave the kids at home. We love our kiddos! But staying focused on shopping for the necessities is much easier when they’re at home instead of convincing you to buy new clothes, shoes, or toys.
- Check out some thrift stores. New clothes can be one of the largest back to school expenses. Cut back by checking consignment shops for gently used items.
- Find supplies that last. When it comes to certain supplies like binders or backpacks, investing in higher-quality supplies that can be reused for several years will save you money in the long run.
- Buy in bulk and split the cost. Certain items like tissues, sanitizers, and plastic baggies can be purchased at a better value when you buy in larger quantities. Organize a bulk supply run with some other parents you know, so you can all save!