5 Easy Tips to Start Saving Money Today
Building a healthy savings balance is essential for accomplishing your life’s goals. But saving money can be tough – and it’s hard to know where to begin.
Try these 5 quick and easy steps to start saving today:
- Start recording your expenses. Having a visual record of your spending habits helps you find and cut down on unnecessary expenses.
If you use CoreFirst’s Internet Banking service, you automatically have access to Money Plan, a great place to budget and create savings buckets. If not Money Plan, there are numerous free budget apps available. You can also go old school with a spreadsheet or pencil and paper. The point is, start tracking today.
- Set a goal. Think about what you want to save money for. Is it a vacation? Tuition? Retirement? Once you have a goal, you can determine how much money to put away every month to meet it.
- Earn interest on your savings. In a high-yield savings account, your money can multiply with no effort from you. Shop around for an account with a great interest rate and start earning on your account balance!
- Automate your savings. Set up automatic monthly transfers into your new high-yield savings account. Set it, forget it, and your balance will grow before you know it.
- Prioritize paying off debts. If you’re not diligent about making loan payments, your debt can accrue hundreds of dollars in interest every month! You’ll save tons of money in the long run if you prioritize paying off your debts as soon as you can.